Monday, August 1, 2011

Detroit, Down But Not Out-Part 1

My quick trip to Toledo and Detroit was nice.  In Toledo, I got a hamburg and hot dog at the original Tony Packo's, then met up with my college roommate and took in a Mud Hens game:


The park is much like the field in Dayton, and both are named Fifth Third Field.  The food at Tony Packo's was also good.  The Mud Hens won 5-2.

The next morning, I drove up to the Henry Ford Museum and took a tour of the Rouge plant.  I'll post separately on that, because that deserves a little more space.  That was the first time I've been inside of an assembly plant, and I thought it was really cool.  So much stuff was going on at one time, I was on sensory overload. 

After that, I drove into Detroit, where I stopped by the Michigan Central depot and took a couple of pictures:



After that, I stopped down the street at the site of the former Tiger Stadium, now Ernie Harwell Park:


Some folks were out on the old infield playing ball.  After that stop, I went down by the Detroit River, where some residential gentrification has taken place.  Here were some nice looking apartments, just north of downtown:



I was impressed with that place.  Next post, I'll include pictures of the Renaissance Center, Windsor, downtown and the stadium.

No comments:

Post a Comment