Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Frivolous Lawsuit Watch

Felix Salmon points out that Ben Stein is suing Kyocera because they decided not to hire him to do a commercial because they found out he was a climate change denier (h/t Doug J):
Ben Stein said he was by no means certain that global warming was man-made, a position held by many scientists and political conservatives. He also told Hurwitz to inform defendants that as a matter of religious belief, he believed that God, and not man, controlled the weather…
A host of federal laws protects Americans from being discriminated against on the basis of religious belief. Neither employees nor independent contractors already hired may be dismissed on the basis of their religious views.
Ben Stein’s questioning of whether man makes the weather or God makes the weather is a matter of his religious belief. For him to be fired because of his religious belief is a clear case of discrimination against him for religious belief in violation of state and federal law.
A word to the wise, Ben: you weren’t fired for your religious beliefs.
Why are so called conservatives always portraying themselves as victims?  Welcome to the cold world of modern business Mr. Stein.  I would guess that in the case of other people, Ben Stein is probably a proponent of the concept that businesses can hire and fire as they like for any reason.  My employee handbook explicitly tells me that my employer can get rid of me at will.  They aren't dumb enough that they would tell me that it was because of my race, religion or politics (although I believe they could fire me because of my politics), but they wouldn't have to.  All they have to say is that they don't see a role for me in the company going forward.  Unlike Mr. Stein, I wouldn't sue them because of it, because I don't want to blow money on an attorney in an unwinnable lawsuit.  But if you ever hear Ben Stein criticizing frivolous lawsuits, laugh very hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment