Monday, April 15, 2013

The Challenges of the Second Avenue Subway Construction

CBS Sunday Morning looks at the massive project:




One notable fact in that clip: a neighborhood with a population of 100,000 per square mile. To put that in perspective, Miami County (where I live), had a population of 102,506 in the 2010 census, spread over an area of just about 410 square miles. New York City has a population of approximately 8.3 million spread over about 303 square miles of land. For a little more perspective, where I live, my folks and I own 585 acres, which leaves a population of 1 on 0.915 square miles (granted, there are probably 50 people living on 50 acres which are contiguous to our ground). In other words, the Upper East Side is about as crowded as it would be if every person in my county lived on the farm I live on. In other New York transit news, The Atlantic reviews several proposed but stalled projects to provide another transit link between New York City and New Jersey. This includes a proposed extension of the 7 train, as well as the tunnel project killed by Chris Christie when he was first elected and trying to prove his Tea Party bona fides, prior to realizing that the Tea Party would kill any hopes of a national election victory for him. I still think this was his biggest mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment