Saturday, May 25, 2013

Putting Things In Perspective

To fulfill my sister's request, here (<<-read this one first, it is written by a friend and occasional drinking associate) are links to two stories about a family who are my friends and neighbors, and all the things they have been through since Cory, the son, got hit by a car while riding a moped, and suffered tremendous brain trauma and spent 3 months in a coma.  They are inspiring and emotional articles, and are more likely to bring tears to your eyes than slicing a bushel of onions (that would be 4 pecks, for those who are interested in strange units of measurement) or playing a round or three of rochambeau.  If they don't do it, here's a picture of Cory walking down the aisle at graduation.

These stories are also a very good example of the amazing strength and goodness to be found in our communities.  While these folks might have been able to make it through their trials on their own, I know there is no way I could in their situation, and I know that the outpouring of support from friends and neighbors greatly eased their burdens and helped them carry on.  I am proud to know so many strong, loving and caring people, and am glad to be a small, albeit not nearly as beneficial, part of their lives and their community.  We may frequently see the bad side of people, but there is an overwhelming amount of good in them.

I may love to bitch and moan about how put upon I am in my day-to-day life, but people like this, who have been through real-life suffering and tragedy, quickly put into context how charmed my life has been.  I will now take a short break from complaining about what amounts to my personal version of white people problems (or first-world problems) to drink a few beers with said friends, and to celebrate Cory's graduation.  And to soak in a little of what makes life beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment