Monday, June 10, 2013

Bale The Whirlwind

I forgot to mention that when I was baling last week, dad yelled at me and pointed off to the side.  I looked over, and the biggest whirlwind I'd ever seen was blowing in my hay field.  It was about 30 or 40 feet wide and 80 to 100 feet tall.  It threw hay all over out of three or four windrows, and lifted hay clear up over the trees that edged the field.  It was kind of neat to see.  If I'd have been a little closer, I'd have tried to run through it just to see how strong the winds were.  Back when I was in college, my roommate and I were heading out to Iowa City to meet up with his folks and one of his buddies, and as we were coming across I-80, I saw what I thought were some birds circling around above the road in front of us.  Instead, it was debris in a whirlwind, and when his car hit it, it moved us several feet across the lane.  It was pretty amazing.

Here's a video of a hay field whirlwind in England which is a little bigger and longer lasting than the one I saw:


No comments:

Post a Comment