Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Gosh Darn (edited), Real Politics is Hard

I was just hanging out with a bunch of folks I really like and respect.  Somebody (not me) made some comment that I would describe as straight from Fox News.  So I tried as best as I could (I swear) to explain why I thought that position was understandable, but ultimately misguided, and suddenly I was fucking Karl Marx risen from the dead.  I laid out all the information I could muster, and when people didn't believe what I said, I told them that seriously, they could trust the numbers I put out there.  The response I got was that I may have the numbers, but they understood the reality.  I tried to explain that they understood the anecdote they lived or heard about, but that the numbers gave a better explanation of realtiy.  I got 0 to 1 converts.  Actually, I got zero converts.  That is extremely frustrating.

3 comments:

  1. Keep in mind that for whatever “numbers” you believe to be true there is another guy across the aisle with numbers that are just as believable. The real problem is that there is no one left in the middle to say I hear both sides. In all my years I have never seen such a divided country as we have right now and frankly that rests solely with the guy in charge. Arrogance will forever be his Achilles heel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call shenanigans. The guy in charge can't do anything for the folks on the other side of the aisle but quit. They have wigged out each time we've had a Democrat as president. As for the numbers, there is no doubt whatsoever that the folks on top used to pay a much higher tax rate and the world didn't come to an end. A true negotiation would involve cuts in spending AND tax increases, but the right will not do that. They need somebody to explain the meaning of negotiation. Obama would gladly sell out on Social Security and Medicare as long as he got some higher taxes, but these guys are too dumb to take the deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to know why you are fucking Karl Marx. Was he preserved like Lenin? Oh, you mean you were compared to Karl Marx. My bad.

      Delete