Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Election 2013

I've got to say that the breathless overage of fatass Chris Christie and the battle between "Bring Back Anti-Sodomy Laws" Ken Cuchinelli and"I'm as crooked as the day is long" Terry McAullife distracts me from things in Tuesday's election that I consider more important.  First off, my township had a competitive election for the first time in over 30 years.  We have gotten two new township trustees (out of three) within 6 months.  That is a sea change, but I think we'll have a peaceful transition (especially considering I was drinking beer with all three upcoming trustees this evening).  Besides that, you have the Chamber of Commerce beating the Tea Party candidate in Alafuckingbama.  Honestly, I feel funny rooting for the business interests in that Battle Royale.  I generally curse the business folks, but the tea partiers are so insane that rooting for the rick fucks seems like the wise choice.

Overall, though, the most interesting story to me, other than the local township trustee story, is the Colorado secession story.  In the end, 6 of 11 counties voted to leave Colorado to form their own state.  However, in a population of 350,000 in the 11 counties, the 6 couties that voted yes had a population of less than 33,000.  That is your clueless rural vote in action.  Some of these counties were losing population from 2000 to 2010, but they think it is in their best interest to vote to leave the state that has taxpayers from other parts of the state funnel money to them.  What the fuck?  I don't get it.  There's a lot more analysis I'd like to do on this vote, but honestly, I'm just too lazy to write it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment