Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Fox in the Henhouse

Actually, barnyard is more accurate.  I had lost a couple of chickens this weekend, and I was assuming a raccoon had come around again and made a home in my barn.  Yesterday, I let the chickens out of the coop since it was so hot out, even though I was afraid one or two might disappear if said raccoon got hungry.  I was driving up the back lane after working some washouts in a field, and happened to see two chickens in the pasture behind the barn fighting.  One chicken jumped on the other, they tumbled a little, then the chicken jumped on the other again.  As I got closer, the one took off, and I realized it was a red fox.  Disappearing chicken mystery solved.  I did end up losing one of the hens, but I found another one outside today healing up.  I already had a live trap out to catch the raccoon I was expecting to find, but I don't expect the fox to be dumb enough to wander in there.  To be honest, even if I did catch the fox, I would probably violate my 'dead trap' rule (nothing live leaves the live trap) and haul the fox off to another farm where I don't have chickens to fall prey to him.  You just don't see red foxes around very much any more.  In other wildlife sightings, I saw seven deer in the field I tried to plant last night, along with one coyote, and I saw another coyote (or maybe the same one) today when I actually got the field planted.  130 acres of beans to go right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment