Monday, May 12, 2014

The Corn is In


Well, a couple fields got planted in somewhat marginal conditions, but all of our corn is out of the bag and in the ground.  Now the fun begins.  

Yesterday was kind of interesting.  We went and checked our final farm, and dad and I had differing opinions on what to do.  After checking the forecast (which had been abysmally inaccurate all weekend) we decided to go ahead and plant it.  While we were planting, a pretty strong thunderstorm popped up, but for the most part stayed to the south of the farm.  We got light sprinkles for a while, and then when the sun came out and it looked like the worst was over, it started raining harder.  This created an awesome rainbow that arched over several farmhouses in the distance.  I was disappointed I didn't have my camera with me.  The rain came down hard enough that I pulled out of the field to see what would happen, got some more fertilizer and seed, then headed back when it let up.  At this point, I had 15 acres left, the ground was a little tacky, and another round of clouds was building to the west.  I got going again, and about 1/3 of the way through, we got another round of the devil beating his wife.  I wasn't going to stop, and it wasn't hateful closing up the trench anyway.  Again, a tremendous rainbow (double rainbow for a while) formed to the east, and wouldn't you know it, I forgot to grab the camera.  After skipping a swampy area, I got the last of the corn planted and called it a wrap.  

I'd estimate that we got maybe half a tenth to a tenth of rain while I was planting, but 3 1/2 miles to the south, I got 3/4", and dad got 1 1/2" another 3 1/2 miles south of there.  Then, overnight I got another inch of rain at home.  While it wasn't ideal conditions, I'm glad we got that planted while we could.  If that farm got the same inch of rain that I got overnight, it would be a mess for a while.  I'm still disappointed I didn't get any pictures of the rainbows stretched out over the neighboring farmsteads, but I'd have screwed them up anyway.


2 comments:

  1. Glad your corn's in. It think we're a little further behind over here. Several places close by got 1"-2" of rain and big hail over the weekend but we only got about 1/2". Looks like the weather will be cool and dry this week. On the other hand, my garden looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, with saturated soil and morning temps in the low 40s, maybe the seed is better off in the barn. Farming is just another form of gambling.

    ReplyDelete