Saturday, May 14, 2011

One of those tough springs

Well, so far we've planted about 140 of our 400 acres of corn, and about 50 of our 400 acres of beans.  None of those fields has been in optimal condition, and I've considered quitting what I was doing a number of times.  Probably 20% of the acres should not have been planted at all if we didn't have a ten day weather forecast showing eight days with a chance of rain.  Hopefully things work out for the best.

The one thing I have to remember is that things are a lot better here than in other places.  No matter how frustrated I get when putting in the crops, people along the Mississippi, in Japan and lots of other places have things a lot worse.  I'm doing a job I love, don't have to answer to anybody, and have to take into consideration that the last three years have been amongst the best ever.  I don't have to commute to work, deal with angry clients or get into petty struggles with co-workers (other than dad).  Plus, a little adversity once in a while builds character.  Overall, things are pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment