Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Hidden Shamrock

Morning Edition features author Michael Harvey:
His protagonist, Michael Kelly, is a fictional private investigator who frequents a neighborhood watering hole on Chicago's North Side. That fictional bar, the Hidden Shamrock, bears the same name as the bar Michael Harvey actually co-owns in Chicago's Lincoln Park neighborhood.
Dim lights and a back room give the Hidden Shamrock a hint of noir, something any good detective hangout should have. But this neighborhood joint is a bit more upscale. At around 4 p.m., just a few people sit at the polished wooden bar. The bartender fills a few glasses with ice and booze then draws a pint of Guinness from the draft. A large framed poster of a boxer hangs on the wall.
"That is Charlie Kelly, who is my great-great-uncle. He was a boxer in New England," Harvey says. Harvey has pale blue eyes, tousled hair and a hint of a gruff beard. "I'm originally from Boston. His father was Michael Kelly and that's who the character is named after. So there's a little bit of Kelly on the walls and a lot of Kelly in the nooks and crannies of the Hidden Shamrock."
The Hidden Shamrock is a pretty nice bar, just down the way from my sister's residence.  I was there in the mid-90s and asked the bartender if they had Stroh's.  He told me, "Buddy, this is the nineteen-nineties, not the nineteen-fifties."  When I went back in, in about 2006, they had PBR on draft, which I consider the same as Stroh's, so I think I was ahead of my time.  What can I say, I'm a trendsetter.

No comments:

Post a Comment