Saturday, December 24, 2011

Good Beer Rises

Slate (h/t the Dish):
The drink he led me to was a perfect choice in that it was not only delicious, but also previously unknown to me. In one recommendation, he delivered the basic services I want from a sommelier: excellent advice and teaching without pedantry. And in my glass? Not wine, but rather an Arcobraeu Zwicklbier, an unfiltered lager from southern Germany.
Engert knows wine, but he specializes in beer. He’s a leading light of a new generation of beer professionals that are working to raise the art and science of selecting and serving beer to the level of wine service. Engert and his peers are rapidly gaining notice from the fine dining establishment. Last year, he was the first ever beer professional to make Food & Wine’s list of top sommeliers. For craft beer to continue growing and improving, there will need to be many more like him.
I don't think beer needs to be as snobby as wine, thank you very much.  But I do appreciate the large number of styles of beer available.  If it tastes good, I'll drink it.  I don't really need the sommelier.

No comments:

Post a Comment