Saturday, August 11, 2012

Down At The County Fair

Our county fair this year isn't very impressive.  There are a lot of empty spaces out on the midway.  I swear this is the first time in my life that they don't have an arcade, but a couple of people told me they didn't have one last year.  I still believe there was one last year, but I can't prove it.  Anyway, when I was a kid that was the most important thing there.  Of all the money I spent at the fair, 80% went to video games.  I budgeted out to be able to eat two meals each day for $2, and the rest went in the quarter slots.  After I spent the day's money, I would hang around and check the coin return slots for lucky finds.  The best deal was when the Pole Position game said 50 cents a credit, but was giving a credit for each quarter.  My friends and I noticed this and got to play like 8 free games.  We came back later in the day, and there were 14 credits on the machine, but a little kid was playing.  We stood there like vultures and waited for him to finish.  As soon as he walked away, we pounced on the machine and played all the credits.  We were quite the class act.  Apparently, the days of the video arcade are dead.  Long live the video arcade.




Update: The arcade did show up on Saturday, so the rumors of the arcade's demise were greatly exaggerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment