Friday, September 7, 2012

A Sensible Small Businessperson

All Things Considered:
CORNISH: New Belgium is a Colorado-based beer company. And it's doing well, $140 million in sales last year alone.
I asked Kim Jordan why she was in Charlotte, when so many of her fellow CEO's are supporting Mitt Romney.
JORDAN: For me, it's important to understand that, you know, my coworkers and I put our collective shoulders to the wheel to build equity; that I can't get all of the beer that we make out of the door by myself. It takes the effort of a lot of people who - I watch them, they're incredibly dedicated. So I'm comfortable with the notion that you pool your labor, you build equity. And for me, I want to share that.
And so, if you operate under a model that says that strangers who - granted, they have put money into your business to help it grow - if you believe that those people should have a higher return than the people that you work with, then I suppose you see the Republican mindset as being more aligned with what you think.
CORNISH: Now, going into the next year, there's question marks about tax policy and there's been so much, essentially, uncertainty for business owners. How are you feeling about that? Do you agree with that?
JORDAN: You know, anyone who has started a business knows that there's a lot of uncertainty in the world and you just kind of have to decide what's important to you and go forward always kind of keeping that in mind. I think certainly there will be tax implications. And while I can't sit here and say, oh, I love that, I also think, you know, to whom much is granted much is expected.
She built that, along with a lot of other people.  So humility actually exists among some entrepreneurs?  That's good to know, because it is a pretty good virtue.  Maybe some self-professed Christians might find some of that.  And labor deserves some credit in a successful business?  What a novel idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment