Sunday, December 2, 2012

Ram On The Run

Des Moines Register:

Rodney White/The Register
A Navajo-Churro ram jumped out of its trailer near the Iowa Capitol on Friday morning, Nov. 30, leading Capitol workers, Animal Rescue League officials, Capitol troopers, Des Moines Police and animal control officers on an hour-long chase around the Capitol complex until it was caught by contractors and others at the central power plant. The ram was being transported from Creston by Travis Brogden to Cedar Rapids
 
That just makes me laugh.  However, it does remind me of the day when I was hauling a cow with a dislocated hip up to the stockyard. I had just turned onto a U.S. Highway and looked in the rear view mirror, and saw she was sticking her head out of the trailer.  I quickly turned into a driveway and found out that the sliding door on the back gate of the trailer had jostled loose and slid open.  She easily could have stepped out of the trailer, either while we were going down the road or when I stopped.  It was kind of challenging to push her head back in so I could shut the gate, but all I could imagine was an already barely ambulatory cow stepping out into the way of a semi.  She wasn't worth much in her condition, but I sure as hell didn't want to try to figure out how I would clean up that roadkill carcass.  That was a scary one.

No comments:

Post a Comment