Thursday, February 3, 2011

The buzzards are circling

New York Times Co. reports 26% drop in 4Q profit. Actually, the Times is in much better shape than most.  I was raised reading newspapers, and the inexorable decline is depressing.  I get a good portion of my news online, but I think the newspapers will continue to have difficulty turning the online news into revenue.  I have always been entertained by various newspaper names (The Blade, Post-Intelligencer, Bee), much like the multitude of strange trade union ( Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union) and religious order (Congregation of Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary) names.  None of these groups is thriving.  But, the Courier-Journal, the Post-Dispatch, the Journal-Constitution and others are a reminder of the last era of failing newspapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment