Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It's a Beautiful Day

After spending much of the day on the computer trying to add content to the blog, I had to venture over to another farm to check on a pregnant cow.  I realized at this time how beautiful the weather is today.  55 degrees and sunny is pretty nice after the long grind of winter.  Mind you, it isn't exactly aesthetically beautiful, with the soggy brown grass showing through the receding snow, and the mud throughout the barnlot, but it is invigorating.  The cows were lying in the mud sunbathing (It is amazing how warm an angus cow's winter coat gets on a sunny 55 degree day).  This is one of the days when I am glad to be alive.  There are few better feelings than the one you get as you watch the tug-of-war between winter and spring, especially on a day in which spring has the upper hand. 

Reading the news everyday about politics and the Great Recession, about people suffering and hurting one another, it's pretty easy to lose faith in the existence of a Higher Being.  But on a day that I wait for a new calf to be born, a day when spring training kicks off another baseball season, a day that foreshadows the coming of spring and sowing another year's crops, a day of new beginnings, it is much easier to keep that faith.  Now please, pardon me, I have to go back out.

5 comments:

  1. It is so unexpected and nice to hear you being positive and optimistic. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are beginning to scare me...first taking the over on the Reds and now this??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, do not be concerned. I will remain generally pessimistic. I just caught a case of Spring Fever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "generally"...that's funny

    ReplyDelete