Saturday, July 16, 2011

Please, Not Another Texas Governor For President

Justin Elliot highlights a recent speech by current Texas governor and potential 2012 Presidential candidate Rick Perry:
In the most interesting section of the remarks, Perry lists various problems facing America and, instead of offering policy prescriptions, he says he would simply hand things over to the Lord:

I tell people, that "personal property" and the ownership of that personal property is crucial to our way of life.
Our founding fathers understood that it was a very important part of the pursuit of happiness. Being able to own things that are your own is one of the things that makes America unique. But I happen to think that it's in jeopardy.
It's in jeopardy because of taxes; it's in jeopardy because of regulation; it's in jeopardy because of a legal system that’s run amok. And I think it's time for us to just hand it over to God and say, "God, You’re going to have to fix this." ...
I think it's time for us to use our wisdom and our influence and really put it in God's hands. That's what I'm going to do, and I hope you'll join me.
What the hell does that mean?  What if God wants to raise taxes, will Republicans say no?  If Jesus appeared in Washington this weekend and told John Boehner and Mitch McConnell to pay to Caesar what is Caesar's, I bet they would ignore him and accuse him of using class warfare to attack the rich (I was going to mention Eric Cantor, but didn't think a story with Jesus would be appropriate for him).  But what on Earth is Rick Perry yapping on about.  Doesn't he realize that George W. Bush kind of ruined the evangelical politician who asks God what to do category for a large number of voters?  That shit may work in Texas, but I don't think it will work everywhere.  I'm pretty sure that God doesn't want to clean up the mess Republicans have made in this country over the last 30 years, or He wouldn't have let Republicans win the 2010 election.  I think He's leaving that job for us, because He created intelligent beings for a reason, and He expects us to use our brains once in a while.  As far as I can tell, that would require sweeping Republicans out of power at the first opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment