Tuesday, September 27, 2011

NCAA Hockey Preseason Rankings

Notre Dame squeaks in ahead of Miami as #1 in the USCHO.com poll:
Seven teams received first-place votes in Monday’s USCHO.com Division I Men’s Poll, but Notre Dame tallied the most votes and starts the season ranked No. 1 in the nation.
Notre Dame earned 11 No. 1 votes, while No. 2 Miami registered 12 first-place votes.
North Dakota finished third and had five first-place votes, Denver comes in at No. 4, while Boston College, with two No. 1 votes, starts the year at No. 5.
Michigan garnered the sixth spot, Colorado College gets No. 7, defending national champion Minnesota-Duluth sits in the eighth rank with 10 first-place votes, Yale took one first-place vote and is No. 9 and Boston University rounds out the top 10 with two first-place nods from the voters.
I hadn't been paying attention to much hockey news.  I didn't see the Big Ten is forming a hockey conference, as the CCHA disintegrates.  That'll change the hockey landscape.

2 comments:

  1. Hockey a 'minor' sport? Certainly not in Duluth, or Grand Forks where the home rink cost a donor in the neighborhood of $150 million.

    As someone whose only claim to sports fame is that I got to see every home game coached by the legendary Herb Brooks at the University of Minnesota, I assure that in those days, hockey was NOT a minor sport. Notice that when Brooks took Herbie Hockey to the big stage, the result was voted as the biggest sporting event of 20th century USA by the ESPN fans. (1980 Gold Medal)

    Yeah, I know that in most of USA, most folks couldn't tell you the difference between a puck and a rink. So you are about 98% right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's more a sop to certain folks in Ohio who think that outside of football and baseball there aren't any other real sports. I've managed to mention hockey more times than basketball here, so I guess I'm giving it reasonable coverage.

    I haven't tried to get tickets to a game at Miami, but I know hockey tickets are a lot harder to get up north than they are in Columbus.

    Somebody was just telling me last winter about the guy who donated all the money to UND for the rink. That was unbelievable. The guy who was telling me was originally from Grand Forks, but works out of Columbus, and he was surprised I knew the Fighting Sioux were ranked #1 at the time. I didn't know anything else except their ranking.

    ReplyDelete