Sunday, October 23, 2011

Jobs To Obama: U.S. Should Be More Like China

That was my takeaway from this article:
"You're headed for a one-term presidency," he told Obama at the start of their meeting, insisting that the administration needed to be more business-friendly. As an example, Jobs described the ease with which companies can build factories in China compared to the United States, where "regulations and unnecessary costs" make it difficult for them.
Steve Jobs may have been great at producing consumer appliances, but I don't think I want somebody with this type of mindset setting industrial policy.  Holding up the Chinese government as an example of how to get things done doesn't sit that well with me.  Something about private property and such, minimal workers right, environmental protection, I don't know.  Also, I think most U.S. executives would frown on Chinese handling of executives who screw up too badly.  Considering almost no U.S. bank executives have gone to jail, they ought to count their blessings that the Chinese Communist Party isn't in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment