Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Guide To The Twin Cities

Katie Heaney on Minnesotans:
If there’s one thing that Minnesotans love talking about, it’s how great Minnesota is. People from Minnesota are, in real life, what people from New York are like on television—there isn’t anywhere else that matters, unless it’s to serve as our mortal enemy (I'm looking at you, Wisconsin). We're like the world's friendliest braggarts. I grew up here and, in my role as a state proselytizer, I've so far managed to convert two Chicago-born college friends into Minnesotans, and it’s only a matter of time before I get to the rest of you.
Should you get a chance to visit the Twin Cities, here are some things you might enjoy doing. But first, a few notes about this guide. I don’t talk much about the nightlife here, because then I’d have to tell you that I can’t tell the difference between any two bars in Uptown. I won’t tell you about music venues, except to mention the legendary First Avenue (any Minnesotan who writes about Minneapolis without mentioning “the legendary First Avenue” is immediately exiled to Wisconsin), because I’m just not cool enough. What I can tell you about is the weird stuff, the super Minnesotan stuff, the stuff that makes me happiest to stick around.
The Minnesota State Fair, number one on the list, is for those of you who visit around Labor Day.
The part about the world's nicest friendliest braggarts cracks me up.  The Twin Cities are nice, I'll give them that.  But every time I've visited, it's been hotter than hell.

1 comment:

  1. I created some tourist info for the Netroots crowd last summer. I don't know if this make me a friendly braggart or not, but I think it worked. Sorry it has been so hot when you visited. Come in February—it will NOT be hot!

    http://real-economics.blogspot.com/2011/06/netroots-nation-my-minneapolis.html

    http://real-economics.blogspot.com/2011/06/netroots-nation-road-trip-veblens.html

    http://real-economics.blogspot.com/2011/05/tourist-attraction-that-partly-explains.html

    ReplyDelete