Wednesday, May 9, 2012

You Can Keep That Hail

Baseball-sized hail in St. Louis:


Wow:

 
Baseball-sized hail could have an impact energy of over 100 Joules. It isn’t really, the same thing but I can still compare this to other objects. What about a bullet? It seems that this large hail would just be around the kinetic energy of a .22LR pistol bullet. I’m not exactly sure what that means, but I am fairly certain that is a pretty small-caliber bullet. A .45-caliber bullet has an energy around 500 to 800 Joules. What about a 90 mph baseball? This seems to be pretty close in energy to baseball-sized hail (around 120 Joules).
Does this mean that baseball-sized hail is like getting shot by a .22 bullet? No. More on this later.
Once again, I will do a bullet comparison. A .45-caliber bullet would have a momentum from 3.5 kg*m/s to 4.5 kg*m/s. The .22LR has a momentum less than 1 kg*m/s. What about a baseball? Thrown at 90 mph, it would have a momentum of 5.8 kg*m/s. So, the hail would be more like a baseball.
I just know I don't want that stuff falling on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment