Monday, July 18, 2011

6 Ways To Fix The All-Star Game

Hampton Stevens at The Atlantic has suggestions, some good, some not so good.  This one I agree with:
5.) More skills Why is this so hard to accomplish? MLB's Homerun Derby has proven to be nearly as popular as the game itself. Yet baseball refuses to capitalize on its own success by adding more skills contests. For instance, you take a half-dozen players with great arms, stick them in centerfield, and set targets at every base and home plate. Tadah! An Outfield Skills Competition.
I remember when they used to do just that.  I think the year I watched, Cory Snyder won or was in the finals.  But they could feature some catchers throwing to bases, some timed baserunning, and stuff like that.  Of course, if the home run derby lasts 3 hours, it's hard to get any more stuff in.  I also agree with Less Bud, although that applies to the whole season, not just the All-Star Game.

No comments:

Post a Comment