Thursday, July 21, 2011

More On the Texas Economy

Derek Thompson:
I'm not a Lone Star hater. Texas has thrived with cheap work, cheap homes, and cheap living costs. In the dawn of a recovery, these are virtues, and it does no good for liberals to pretend otherwise. But ultimately, I'm a believer that economic conditions matter more than policy, and Texas' conditions are perfectly suited to the moment. The American consumer is weak, and the industries and states that are growing fastest in the U.S. rely on something other than the American consumer: namely protected parts of the federal government and growing global markets. With defense and energy as two of its leading industries, Texas' major markets are the federal government and the global commodities market. Take away the steadiness of the military (including medical) and oil and gas demand, and you've got a very different story in Texas.
I don't happen to be a fan of Texas.  They aren't exactly setting the standard for education or health care.  So they don't have a state income tax.  I'll pay Ohio's and stay here.  It's plenty hot for me in the Buckeye State, I'll pass on the heat of Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment