Thursday, July 7, 2011

Getting Warmer?


Here:
Once a decade, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration updates its definition of "normal" temperatures, based on the average temperatures of the previous 30 years. Here's how the 1981-2010 "normal" compares to the 1971-2000 "normal." Basically, it's a lot hotter.
It doesn't look like any place is getting cooler.  I would have guessed that until last year, Ohio was less hot than when I was a kid.  But last summer was damn hot.  Of course it was also my first summer in 13 years in which I was outside much of the day.  Although what seemed really bad last year were the nights, they were awful.  One morning at 5:30 am, it was raining outside and still 74 degrees.  Clearly, this data has nothing to do with human activity, and everything to do with sun spots.  At least, I'm sure that's what people I talk to in a bar are going to tell me, and they know lots more than scientists. 

No comments:

Post a Comment