Sunday, July 3, 2011

Remembering Gettysburg

Paul Krugman marks the 148th anniversary of Pickett's Charge with YouTube clips of the Charge in the movie, Gettysburg.  My plan yesterday was to remember the battle at Little Round Top, and the bayonet charge of Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and the 20th Maine. I consider July 2nd the most significant of the days of the battle, but I got busy sowing double-crop soybeans, and didn't get it posted.  Here it is:



I still don't understand what Bobby Lee was thinking on the 3rd. But I think that July 4, 1863 is probably the most significant date in our country's history, after July 4, 1776. The surrender of Vicksburg, combined with the rebel retreat from their defeat at Gettysburg, marked the climax of the worst event in American history. From then on out, the war was just dragging out the inevitable end. It took nearly two more years, and thousands of lives, but chances of rebel victory ended on that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment