Friday, April 15, 2011

A Little Different

I spent a little time in town last night.  I happened to run into a couple of interesting phenomena.

First, one establishment was hosting a lingerie show and cigar event to raise money for breast cancer research.  Yes, that is correct, a cigar event to raise money for cancer research.  Actually, I think they raised a lot of money, but the irony was thick.

Second, I spoke with a person who thinks a clown in costume should not be drinking where children could see him, after performing at a parish festival, but that it is ok for parents to drink at the same event.  In other words, a clown is considered more of a role model than a parent.  I don't happen to be bothered by either, but it seemed like an odd concern to me.  Especially considering that it still rankled two years after the fact.

Both incidents made me laugh a little bit.

2 comments:

  1. Oh crap, this is a good post.

    Think of the clown as a professional children's entertainer; in the professional role (ethically) they should not be indulging in behaviors that are inappropriate in front of children. The clown is a role model to all the (whereas the parent is only keyed to a select group of children) children and is an easily visible symbol (like Republicans that have 'wide stances' or multiple mistresses).

    However, the parent shouldn't be drinking in front of her child (or taking her children to places where drinking occurs) if she thinks the behavior is inappropriate for children to see.

    Ever see "Shakes, the Clown" with Bobcat Goldthwait? That was a funny clown.

    A lingerie event to raise money for breast cancer researh? Why can't I think of this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that the clown was working for free. I can't see a clown as a role model for anyone. I already classify clowns with non-parent little league coaches and non-parent scout leaders as people who may have an unhealthy interest in children, so if I see a clown drinking, it really doesn't affect my image of clowns one way or the other.

    I made the argument that all adults in a parish could and probably should be considered role models for the children of the parish, and that the sale of alcohol already sanctions the consumption of alcohol by adults, clown or non-clown.

    To me, it is no different than taking a child into a bar, where they can observe adults drinking, then getting upset that a school teacher is drinking in such a setting. I know some people hold those views, but I am not one of them, and I think that has evolved a lot in my lifetime.

    ReplyDelete