Sunday, April 10, 2011

Population Change

Steven Von Worley looks at a map detailing  U.S. population change from 2000 to 2010 (h/t The Dish).  This is the Midwest, with his commentary:

Ah, the classic flight to the suburbs, but with a twist! Click through and look closely, and at the very center of the biggest cities – within a stone’s throw of downtown – you’ll see a tiny, resurgent dot of blue. Apparently, at some point in recent history, a home address amongst the skyscrapers became desirable again. Even in the City of Detroit, which dropped a full quarter of its citizens in the last decade, downtown is flashing the signs of a comeback.

I've got to say that the continued sprawl is very depressing to me.  I have a gut feeling that we are really going to regret that we built so much so far from our city centers in the previous decade.  Hopefully I am wrong.  I'm glad that there have been some people moving back into our downtowns, but driving around downtown Dayton last week, I didn't see too many new people down there.

No comments:

Post a Comment