Monday, March 5, 2012

Is Living Alone Narcissistic?

Andrew Sullivan:
Mark Mitchell worries about the dramatic trend toward "solo living":

[M]ost obviously, living alone can lead to a disposition that I am center of the universe. When I eat, sleep, brush my teeth, and exercise I must ask leave of no one and can to exactly as I please. I never have to make a meal out of something I despise because it is the favorite of someone else. I don’t have to get up in the night to help a sick roommate or spouse, to rub a sore back, fetch a glass of water, or get an extra blanket to stave of the chills of fever. If I do any of these things, it is solely for myself and no other.
Maybe that explains who I live alone.  For some reason, I doubt it. 

I guess I would think the benefits of living with somebody else might actually outweigh the detractions.  The ability to split chores, bills and other requirements of living, for instance.  Or, for instance, having somebody else get up in the night to help me when I'm sick.  I'm going to appreciate that more when I am the helpee than I am going to resent it when I'm the helper, because I feel a lot better physically in the latter case.

Also, the argument of "freedom" to do as you please would seem to run up against the requirements of fulfilling employment.  For instance, when I eat, sleep, brush my teeth and, well, never mind about exercising, generally revolves around my work schedule.  Actually, everything revolves around that.  I doubt that I am alone in this situation.  I can't consider myself the center of the world when my employer is the center of my world.

I think this seems like a case of blaming people for not managing to find the person who would make their life better living together.  At least that would be the case for me.

2 comments:

  1. How can someone who owns and knows how to work productive farmland, who is educated, writes gracefully, and has an omnivorous curiosity NOT have someone really nice to share his life? A guy like you could have a freaking harem if you wanted. At the very least, there should be some lusty earth mother out there who loves country life and would love to be raising some big healthy children.

    I don't get it—my great-grandfather got a woman to move all the way from Sweden to join him on a 160 acre farm in SE Kansas back in the 19870s when farming was incredibly harsh and difficult. I guess they don't make women like that anymore. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just haven't made the right connection. I have been compared to the Norwegian bachelor farmers before. Thanks for the encouragement though.

    ReplyDelete