Monday, May 23, 2011

Hopkins Becomes Oldest to Win Title



In a weekend of accomplishments by aged athletes, Bernard Hopkins becomes the oldest fighter to win a championship belt in boxing history:
Hopkins -- with guile, grit and a fighting spirit still going strong at age 46 -- won a unanimous decision against Jean Pascal to win the light heavyweight championship and become the oldest man in boxing history to capture a world title.

"I didn't feel like I was 46 tonight. I felt closer to 36," Hopkins said. "I can say I am a great fighter. It was exciting. I think everybody enjoyed themselves.

"It feels great. I set out to do exactly what I wanted to do, which was to break this record. I knew it was going to be a tough fight, but I wasn't going to be denied."

No comments:

Post a Comment